So, Petraeus, Broadwell, Libya, secret prisons . ..

Some of us were discussing this report and article from CNN.  Here's where we can conspiracize to our hearts' content.  Why not?  We'll likely never know the truth, with all these unrelliable sources and diverse motives.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/12/us/petraeus-cia-resignation/index.html

Topic: 

Tags: 

Rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3 (4 votes)

Comments

Here you go

geomoo's picture

"I don't know if a lotof you have heard this, but the CIA annex had actually taken a couple of Libyan militia members prisoner and they think that the attack on the consulate was an effort to get these prisoners back," Broadwell said.

A senior intelligence official told CNN on Monday, "These detention claims are categorically not true. Nobody was ever held at the annex before, during, or after the attacks."

Petraeus writes that PR trumps reality

geomoo's picture

Here comes Karl Rove again, creating reality rather than living it.  Although who am I to say that with the reality Petraeus actually lived.  Perhaps that's why he wanted a dream world to be more important.  This attitude is rampant in our public institutions, the attitude that having a good appearance can cover up for any manner of incompetence.  Perception is everthing.  This is as good of an explanation as any of why we are failing to address climate chaos, resource depletion, population growth, and any number of other realities, which, without looking it up, I think means things which actually exist in time and space.  Things which will kick your ass if you're not looking. 

"More so than any other leading military figure, Petraeus’ entire philosophy has been based on hiding the truth, on deception, on building a false image. “Perception” is key, he wrote in his 1987 Princeton dissertation: "What policymakers believe to have taken place in any particular case is what matters —more than what actually occurred."

Yes, it’s not what actually happens that matters — it’s what you can convince the public it thinks happened"

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mhastings/the-sins-of-general-david-petraeus

Your rating: None Average: 3 (5 votes)

Hastings

downsouth's picture

Did you see Hastings segment on Piers Morgan tonight?  He really unloaded on Petraeus and his defenders (especially Gen. Kimmit).  THIS is speaking truth to power.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (6 votes)

Wow. How rare is that.

geomoo's picture

I wish he didn't have to come off as a bit obnoxious just to level the playing field.  Fucking Piers, so afraid when someone starts piercing the bubble.  Good for him.  That was very satisfying.  Thanks for posting that.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (6 votes)

This brings to mind ...

traveler's picture

Does anyone recall that Admiral Fallon called Petraeus an ass-kissing little chicken shit? "I hate people like that" he said.

Link is here

We hear so much about Petraeus and COIN. Breaking down doors in the middle of the night is not COIN. Neither is the destruction of rural housing compounds as noted in the photo in this thread. These tactics create enemies. But who knows, maybe that was the intent.

In that respect McChrystal was more inclined toward COIN tactics than was Petraeus in Afghanistan. I agree with Hastings.

All of it ignores the most basic logic that no people want a foreign military occupation on their soil and will resist with any means available to them.

The timing leads me to believe there is a Benghazi connection. There is much speculation about it. If indeed there is a link I expect the truth to emerge somewhere down the road once the the story begins to fade into history and the public's interest has been diverted to other stories.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (3 votes)

As Glenn Greenwald writes

Glinda's picture

"On MSNBC, Andrea Mitchell appeared genuinely grief-stricken when she first reported Petraeus' resignation letter. "This is very painful", she began by announcing, as she wore a profoundly sad face. Her voice quivered with a mix of awe and distress as she read his resignation letter, savoring every word as though she were reciting from the Dead Sea Scrolls. On the Rachel Maddow Show later that night, Mitchell began her appearance by decreeing that "this is a personal tragedy" and said she was particularly sorrowful for "the men and women of the CIA, an agency that has many things to be proud about: many things to be proud about"

Christiane Amanpour of CNN and ABC made Mitchell look constrained by comparison as she belted out this paean on Twitter."

They don't call

shaharazade's picture

them spooks for nothing. Betray us always creeped me out along with the rest of these so called heroes like Allen and McChrystal. Panetta's another creepy crawly. Hillary, she's a badass and can hold her own in the long line of war criminals who implement  'foreign policy'... Regardless of which party is in power these psycho killers are deployed to be enforcers, both here in our security state and where ever we  decide to rain hell fire and shock and awe.

Disgusting that Obama made him head of the spooks. Just one big military  happy crime family that is given free reign to keep us safe. His replacement will be just another a new sadistic war criminal as the chain of command is nothing but psychos'. How sick that their sex lives are the cause of a scandal but what they do to other humans in the name of security and fighting for America's freedom makes them heroes. Really depressing following our the farce of an election where both sides tried to outdo each other's chest thumping and sword rattling.         

Pages