Most Interesting Thing You've Read This Past Week

Howdy! Welcome to the our weekly open thread on interesting reads! This is where to post links to those great things that made you say "Ah!" when you read them, so the rest of us can read them too!

So what is the most interesting thing you've read in the past week?

It can be anything - a book, a news article, a blog post, a recipe, a cartoon, anything goes...

And please - if there's a link, link it; if it's a recipe post it. :D

Topic: 

Tags: 

Rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3 (7 votes)

Comments

Basically it's what BruceMcF and I wrote about

priceman's picture

The CBO peddling BS about exponential health care costs growing past 100% of GDP, and being called on it  by Federal Reserve economists Glenn Follette and Louise Sheiner forcefully in a paper. That was interesting enough, but what was more interesting is how instead of refuting this paper Yves Smith published on her blog, they solicited a private chat with her. They basically know they are full of it and are acting weird.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (6 votes)

They do that to make people nervous

geomoo's picture

Wouldn't you be nervous?

There is an amazing documentary, very human, with several New Orleans and bayou residents telling their stories:  Dirty Energy.  Every citizen should watch that doucmentary. It is doubtful many have heard these stories, the depth of the government/contractor creepiness.  The stories all jived.  All sorts of manipulation, directing the ships over the horizon from report spill sites. They were supposed to be volunteering to help clean up.  Paying off a few people, as they finally did years later after the Valdez catastrophe possibly even calculated to split up a community, such as leave the woman who owned and ran the dinner broke, while giving a seeming windfall to someone who had slaved all their lives, I think it was $30,000.  That woman lost her diner and her grandkids, as her son ran with the money they gave him.  The community erupts in desperation and social friction.  Solidarity falls away.

Anyway, a lot worse than that, but, the woman I heard speak after the film, who had been in the film, was a community organizing after the BP catastrophe, reaching out to people and finding out what people needed.  She knew a lot.  They lived on and off the bayou and the Gulf.  And here's the point, HLS calls her at home, politely wanting to have lunch.  They offer to pick her up at her house.   They suggest a restaurant.  She says, no, I'll find my way there, and changes the restaurant.  She's freaking, as you can imagine, having seen all sorts of ruthless crap.  They killed two watch dogs, or someone did.  Anyway, she's freaking.  She calls the most powerful man she knows, the shrimp distributor whose dogs had been killed, and says "If I don't come back stuff . . . .

The day comes, they are chatting at lunch, nothing in particular, just conversation.  So, she's realizing, they just want her to know they're keeping an eye out, protecting, I guess, the "homeland".

I'm sorry, I hate to write something that could freak people out, but that is the world we live in.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (3 votes)

Documentaries seem to be less filtered and more real

priceman's picture

HBO has them on Monday. I'll have to catch that important one. It is a horrible world we live in, but we must watch docs that expose it. That sounds scary and heart wrenching, geomoo. Thanks for the reference.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (1 vote)

And all political shows are starting to bore the hell out of me

priceman's picture

There was a time when I had MSNBC on for 4 hours a day. Now only during the weekend(Up with Chris Hayes is different and has a strong presence on twitter where I can yell back because Hayes checks the twitter feed all throughout the show). I cant even stand Maddow anymore and used to love her, but she spins with the best of them now.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (7 votes)

i can't watch the news shows anymore...

poligirl's picture

my weeknights now consist of whatever old movies or dramas are playing on other cable channels... i go batty watching the power structure's media propagandize the general public... sigh...

Your rating: None Average: 3 (4 votes)

Yep the power structure's media propaganda is more harmful...

priceman's picture

than helpful. Might as well escape to other fiction that is more enjoybale and truthful in that it states it is fiction instead of claming to be the truth.

I had a much better time watching Revolution than any of that other crap.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (1 vote)

No highly edited commentary for me, thank you

geomoo's picture

Unbearable also from the point of view of human to human contact.  When I walk by the tv, be it drama or "the news", they are jabbering so damn fast.  Wow.  Got a train to catch? Let's think about this a little while.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (2 votes)

There used to be a point for MSNBC

Shahryar's picture

I'm so tired of the propaganda, whether it's MSNBC or dKos or emails from any political organization.

There's a common plot in mystery stories when you find out that, oh my god!, the bad guy is the best friend! Oh no!

Well now that it's been revealed that our best friends, Barack Obama and the Democratic Party, are part of "The Gang" it sort of puts a damper on the narrative.

Speaking of dampers, I need to call a flue guy. It's raining pretty heavily here in Oregon and a nice cozy fire would be good. There's something wrong with the flue, though.

Where was I? Oh yes, the bad acting done by the participants in the kabuki. Life is better without having to hear about it.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (4 votes)

Pages