Open Thread-Thanksgiving Plans?

For the past twenty years my parents have not been home for Thanksgiving. They have rented a house with her sisters at the Jersey Shore and for the past several years I have hosted guests in their home as I live there. We thought that this might be the last year because Mom's two remaining sisters are in fragile health and her dementia is progressing. Then the hurricane hit. 

So, it turns out that last year was the last year and I will be hosting Mom and Dad! It's all good, my kids are happy.

So, how about you? Any plans for Thanksgiving?

Topic: 

Rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3 (5 votes)

Comments

and now I'm eating a piece...

triv33's picture

yeah! I don't have to wait until after dinner tomorrow, I'm a grown-up, I can do what I want~

Look at it. What would you do?

Your rating: None Average: 3 (2 votes)

Staying at home

aigeanta's picture

with my parents. My step-grandma might get trucked in from the neighboring county by my stepdad if she's up for it. Afterwards we're going to visit a friend's parents for desert. Yesterday we were at Friendsgiving at my girlfriend's and had a ball.

we used to have a tradition of playing a

triv33's picture

marathon of games and getting good and wasted after dinner, there are so many great times I remember and probably even more that I don't.

We have a totally weird 6-year rotation

geomoo's picture

what with more than one step family multiplying parents and grandparents like rabbits.  Then since my wife's brother died, his kids come at times.  So, we have the whole gang for Christmas this year. Which means this Thanksgiving, we can do our favorite thing--go to a touristy restaurant in this touristy town, only the restaurant is on the pier and it is beautiful there.  But the main draw is that they have a buffet with all the traditional Thanksgiving fixings, as well of course as a million other things.  There is a huge table of desserts--just pick one up and they'll replace it with something else.  Wine.  We timed our meal so the sun will be setting and we'll finish about dark.  Then some strolling around, looking at the ring of mountains and the palm trees along the wide beach.  Later, indigestion.  The Patriots playing tomorrow night will just be icing on the cake.  We are looking forward to a calm day without distraction of friends and loved ones; we'll be focused on eating.

Some things never get old

geomoo's picture

When Sarah Palin pardons you, she knows how to make you feel really lucky:

Your rating: None Average: 3 (4 votes)

a classic!

nemesis's picture

Maybe Obama will pardon a Yemeni tomorrow.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (4 votes)

I'll be

nemesis's picture

At the commune on the rez. I always forget, but this year I got some small pox infected blankets to celebrate old school with the locals.  

Ouch!

geomoo's picture

That was hard to rate, but I grimaced and did it.

I forgotten where I found the hilarious story that goes with this photo, but I still have the photo tucked away to bring out every Thanksgiving.

But even mores satisfying is Wednesday in  Addams Family Values: "I cannot break bread with you."

Your rating: None Average: 3 (6 votes)

Pages