End of Week Open Thread

Former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) might have left his state’s fiscal house in utter disarray, but a study released Thursday finds that he also did California’s young people a huge favor by signing a bill decriminalizing marijuana.

In its October 2012 research brief (PDF), The Center on Juvenile & Criminal Justice (CJCJ) found that the governor’s agreement with the 2010 measure is directly linked to a 47 percent drop in adolescents ages 10-17 arrested on drug related offenses versus 2010′s statistics.

The White House on Thursday threatened to veto the Defense authorization bill on the Senate floor “in its current form,” over the Senate's departures from the Pentagon’s 2013 budget request and provisions limiting transfers of detainees from Guantanamo Bay.

But the veto threat in the Obama administration’s Statement of Administration Policy (SAP) released Thursday is not as strong as the one made during last year’s bill that led to a drawn-out fight over indefinite detention provisions.

Fracking threatens farms and food safety

After fracking began at 32 sites within a couple miles of her ranch, Schilke’s cattle started dropping dead and Schilke herself started suffering from poor health. Ambient air testing found high levels of a bunch of nasty chemical compounds associated with fracking, and with cancer and birth defects.

Topic: 

Rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3 (6 votes)

Comments

Good morning?

Glinda's picture

Decriminalizing marijuana is always a good thing.

Surprise:  Executive Branch doesn't want their powers limited.

Yeah, who could have evah predicted that fracking could be a bad thing.

Now back to important things like the fiscal cliff.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (5 votes)

Tonight's Party- Sugar Sugar

triv33's picture

Pop & Bubble Gum. Nine eastern. Be there~

Tries to make light of a bad cough...Calvin Trllin kills me.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (4 votes)

mornin'! another day at the asylum that...

poligirl's picture

is my park. haven't had time for reading yet, but i have a hunch news is going to be even more depressing... sigh...

but i'm alive. and awake. though tired. :D

Your rating: None Average: 3 (4 votes)