What can and should be done to stop this from happening again?

A man's handgun went off while he was holding it as he got into his truck in the parking lot of a western Pennsylvania gun store Saturday and the shot killed his 7-year-old son, authorities said.

[...}

Investigators said Loughrey told them he didn't realize there was a bullet still in the chamber. "This happens all too often where people think the gun was mpty," Lt. Eric Hermick told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

I'm not against gun ownership, but I am against anyone at any time being able to buy a lethal weapon without mandatory training on same.

You "think" the gun is empty and now your son, daughter, mother, father, friend, cousin, bystander is dead?

Why is there no course, no training, no nothing needed to buy a gun?

Just because the 2nd Amendment says you have the right to own a gun doesn't negate gun ownership responsibility that comes with it.  Why are there governmental regulations for anything and everything but not the most simplistic:  Mandatory gun training and certification. 

I can't speak to this specific incident, but I do believe that had this father had drilled into him gun safety before he bought that handgun, he might not have shot to death his 7-year-old son because  he didn't realize there was a bullet still in the chamber.

"Accidents" happen, for sure, but this wasn't an accident in my opinion.  This father, this man had a lethal weapon in his hands which ultimately killed his son.  He should have known there was a bullet in the chamber.  And now he's going to have to live the rest of his life knowing that his carelessness killed his 7-year-old son.

In almost every venue, organization, Board, everything, one must undergo a course of study, then take a certification exam, and KEEP up the certification by being re-certified every so many years.

Why is it so easy, so easy to buy a lethal weapon and not have to be skilled enough to use it?

Topic: 

Rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3 (3 votes)

Comments

sickening

nemesis's picture

First thing my dad taught me: the gun is always loaded and treat it that way.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (1 vote)