Open for Discussion

Watch Judge Rules Newark Mayor Had No Right To Vote For Vacancy on PBS. See more from NJToday.

Taste of things to come if Cory Booker runs for NJ Governor, or U.S. Senator, or, FSM forbid, president 2020.  Bleh.

Judge Rules Newark Mayor Had No Right to Vote to Fill Vacant Council Seat

“Today, up in the court, it was about a mayor who deigned to be an emperor but who was reminded that in this country, that we live and are governed by a set of laws and rules that every single person is required to obey, even this mayor,” said Newark Councilman Darrin Sharif.

Booker is losing Democratic allies.  No wonder.

And good news is

Democratic state Sen. Barbara Buono became the first member of her party to formally declare her intention to challenge Governor Christie next year.

Sometimes I do miss George W. Bush's plain spoken and right to the point comments.  You know where you stand, even if you totally disagree with his plan.

"You're either with us or against us in the fight against terror."

Nothing ambigious about that.

Then along comes Obama.

Raising the Medicare eligibility age from 65 to 67 is "something that's been floated," Obama said, not dismissing the idea outright.

Really?  Why NOT dismiss the idea outright and say:  I will veto any bill that includes raising the age of eligibility to receive Medicare?

Is this possibly true?

They can hear you: US buses fitted with eavesdropping equipment

Cities across America are equipping their public transport systems with audio recording devices, potentially storing every word spoken by passengers onboard. Rights activists say the surveillance plan by far exceeds what is necessary for security.

­The multimillion dollar upgrade is underway in several US cities, including San Francisco, Eugene, Traverse City, Columbus, Baltimore, Hartford and Athens, reports The Daily, which obtained documents detailing the purchases.

The money partially comes from the federal government. San Francisco, for example, has approved a $5.9 million contract to install the eavesdropping systems on 357 modern buses and historic trolley cars over the next four years, with the Department Homeland Security footing the entire bill. The interception of audio communication will apparently be conducted without search warrants or court supervision, the report says.

But this is absolutely true: Mannequins spying on you.

Topic: 

Rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3 (3 votes)

Comments

Watching that video of the State Policeman standing

Glinda's picture

"guard" over Booker got me to thinking, how exactly did Booker run into a burning building to save someone?  Where was his security staff.

So I looked it up and found this:

Mr. Booker moved toward the kitchen. Detective Rodriguez said that he held him back and that the two “exchanged words.”

“I said: ‘I can’t let you in, that’s my job. I have to keep you from danger,’ ” the detective recalled.

Mr. Booker tried to charge into the flames a second time, the detective said, and he again restrained the mayor, this time by grabbing his belt. The two again had words, Detective Rodriguez said, and this time, Mr. Booker laid out the situation in no uncertain terms.

“He gave me an order, and I complied,” Detective Rodriguez said. “The order was, ‘Let me go.’

My cynical side said why didn't the trained professional enter the building. 

I know, I know, hindsight and all that, but something just doesn't sit right.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (3 votes)

When It was my phone

triv33's picture

and I would hear clicking, under the Bush administration, I would just mutter, "fuck you, Cheney" as a just in case sort of thing. Now I have to start off any chat on a bus with a bonus fuck who?

Your rating: None Average: 3 (2 votes)