Most Interesting Thing You've Read This Past Week

Howdy! Welcome to the our weekly open thread on interesting reads! This is where to post links to those great things that made you say "Ah!" when you read them, so the rest of us can read them too!

So what is the most interesting thing you've read in the past week?

It can be anything - a book, a news article, a blog post, a recipe, a cartoon, anything goes...

And please - if there's a link, link it; if it's a recipe post it. :D

Topic: 

Tags: 

Rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3 (4 votes)

Comments

finished a book......started a book

sartoris's picture

I read Sheridan Hay's, The Secret of Lost Things.  Not a great read, not a bad read.  Recommended by a friend so I sort had to oblige.  Not every book can be a mental challenge!

Started the French reporter, Anne Nivat's book on the wars in Chechnya, Chienne de Guerre: A Woman Reporter Behind the Lines of the War in Chechnya.  Chienne de Guerre translates to: Dog of War.  I have read a few books on the two Chechnyan wars and it is a heartbreaking subject. 

one brave reporter

sartoris's picture

French reporter, fluent in Russian, completely fearless.  The lives that some people lead remind me why I drink so much..........wait, what?  I mean, it's a very good read. 

Your rating: None Average: 3 (3 votes)

Dick Armey is just a liar.

sartoris's picture

No one has to 'accept' Medicare.  For most people, Medicare Part A is free, if they have accumulated 40 work credits.  A credit is earned for each quarter of 'creditable work'.  Over the life of Meicare this has changed dramatically, however, in 2013 a person earns a credit if they earned 1,160 of 'covered' earnings in a quarter (3 month period).  Earn 40 quarters and receive Medicare Part A free.  If a person does not qualify for free Part A then they will be charged a premium for Medicare Part A coverage. 

Everyone, and I mean everyone, pays for Medicare Part B.  There is no such thing as free Medicare Part B.  Another agency (State Medicaid for example) might pay your premium, but someone is going to have to pay your premium for you to receive Medicare Part B.  However, if you don't want Medicare Part B, you simply DECLINE the coverage.  No one has to accept Part B.

If an individual wants to have private insurance then they can purchase it on the 'free' market.  Grandpa goes to the doctor, throws down his private insurance card and the doctor's office bills the private insurance.  No one has to accept Part A.  A person can have private insurance even if they are entitled to free Part A.  A person can have Medicare and their own private insurance.  If a person chooses to have private insurance, while they qualify for free Medicare Part A (based on their work credits), then Medicare simply becomes their Secondary Insurance.  Armey is pretending that a person must have Medicare.  The court declined to hear this case because it would be a remarkable waste of their time. 

Pages