Propaganda Sunday/ Discuss

Morning folks.

Assimilate!!!

The Pentagon Is Apparently Letting Redditors Pilot Drones

One operator who went by the initial "W" told Reddit users that shooting missiles from behind a computer screen didn't mean war was less real to them.

We understand that the lives we see in the screens are as real as our own. We are located in a combat zone. Although, we are not typical combat troops, so, for me to say that I can tell you the differences between how we feel and how an infantryman feels would be based on assumption that I would make of an infantryman's feelings. That would not be accurate or fair to those troops. From our perspective we are not worrying as much about our own personal harm. We are usually not within harms way. I would not compare what I do as a job comparable to Call of Duty/any other video game, in any sense. It is very real and the seriousness of the lives on the ground is very real and instilled in all of our training. It is never something that we joke about. Very serious business.

Topic: 

Tags: 

Rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3 (4 votes)

Comments

What you got

LaEscapee's picture

give it to me.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (3 votes)

Here ya go

triv33's picture

Your rating: None Average: 3 (6 votes)

Morning Triv

LaEscapee's picture

I have already been to work and back. I made three pennies today!

Looks like

LaEscapee's picture

I'm working tomorrow ;) Can we get on a payment plan?

Morning youse

Your rating: None Average: 3 (3 votes)

This sounds like a pretty good PR campaign by the DoD.

Glinda's picture

They won't directly say all this to the media, but... "if" supposedly a group of drone operators talk about it in social media, then the traditional media will pick up on it and report it.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (7 votes)

What I just read

LaEscapee's picture

In thinking about the Hagel nomination hearings, here, to me, is the strangest thing – or perhaps I mean the one that tells me most about our new American world: that the position of the secretary of defense not on the U.S. military (a subject that hardly came up in the hearings), but on U.S. policy toward Iran, or Iraq, or Israel actually matters. Once upon a time, I’m quite sure, at such nomination hearings the position of the secdef on essential foreign policy issues wouldn’t have meant much at all. It certainly wouldn’t have been a national spectacle. In other words, it’s a measure of the way in which American foreign policy and the U.S. military have become increasingly synonymous. It tells us a great deal about the militarization of our
American world. Tom

Your rating: None Average: 3 (5 votes)

Morning Bruce

LaEscapee's picture

Ike had it right it seems.

You know what gets me? Ad I'm sure you as well is the trillions of dollars that have been dumped in this pit and all the while they talk of America wasting money.

Report: U.S. Muslim Terrorism Was Practically Nil in 2012

Try as al-Qaida might to encourage them, American Muslims still aren’t
committing acts of terrorism. Only 14 people out of a population of
millions were indicted for their involvement in violent terrorist plots
in 2012, a decline from 2011′s 21. The plots themselves hit the single
digits last year.

Wake up America as they say.

Maybe for decades, but under W. Bush it increased a lot

geomoo's picture

Allies were stunned when W's regime sent uniformed military to ask allies for help with construction projects and to discuss policy.  W started with that "I'll leave it up to the generals" and "We need to hear from the boots on the ground" meme.  Soon after Obama's first election, when it was clear that it would be business as usual in Afghanistan, I used to bring this up on dkos.  The Vichy left assured me that things were different under dear Barack Obama, that now the state department and other non-military personnel would be in control and that the teams moving in to help Afghanis gain the wonderful benefits we enjoy in this country--things like democracy and a highly functional public sector--would know what they were doing.  It was all bs, of course.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (2 votes)

Pages