Weekend Question Open Thread

Well, it's a lazy post-holiday weekend, so that's my inspiration and there are 2 questions.

First, what do you like/prefer to watch on TV/the toobz/hulu or wherever you watch show type content? The answer can be genre based or specific shows - however you feel like answering it.

Second, what are you watching now, if you are watching anything?

Topic: 

Tags: 

Rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3 (3 votes)

Comments

In many ways I am still a kid

priceman's picture

But I can separate fantasy from reality and many can't or assume people can't and that bothers me. I like shows that make me think even if they are not super perfect or PC in every single way. So quite honestly I don't really care who is super offended by any show whether it's the Newsroom which I like or Tarantino movies which I also like. Life is not PC so hate me if one wants, but I discovered the show Dexter(I didn't think I would like it) and I love it.(all seasons were put on on demand) It's so complex psychologically and the study of people, gray areas, morally etc. Serial killers exist. Hell businessmen have some of the same traits. It's also about overcoming something that gets inside you at a young age depending on what bad things happen to you(which creates them) and that is very real and interesting. The acting is great, too. Michael C. Hall was on another show I loved called Six Feet Under on HBO(I recommend that one, too). It also has interesting family and relationship dynamics intertwined.

So it was on on demand for free and I blew through 7 seasons and enjoyed them. I also love Burn Notice. It's also complex(man someone has done their homework on those tips). I mean I respect differing views, but it also makes me less inclined to answer questions like this in a blog format(except for this blog of couse!). It's called escapism for a reason and watching something and enjoying it doesn't make one a bad person or that oen advocates something one way or another. Sorry to rant, but I have kind of had it with bloggers and their opinions about every movie or show that comes out so I don't read them on movies anymore.

Basically every show I like has had its season finale and now I am bored so I am not watching anything. I only have Game of Thrones among a few other shows to watch in 2013. That show Girls is interesting even though it's not marketed towards me. I think you would love the Show Veep with Julia Louise Dreyfus; really takes advantage of her comedic sensibilities and its political which you would like in a funny clever way.

Anyway I don't know where all that came from, but there it is. :-)

"It's called escapism for a reason"

Glinda's picture

Yes, it is.  So whatever anyone watches that helps them achieve that, that's a good thing.

I love Burn Notice, too.  I also like Leverage, but I hear they're cancelling it.

Your rating: None Average: 3 (4 votes)

Indeed :-)

priceman's picture

The whole cast and their chemistry is pretty amazing. I also love Bruce Campbell and the Evil Dead trilogy.

Ahh, with Timothy Hutton? I was meaning to try that one. USA seems to have a lot of good shows these days.

Yes, with Timothy Hutton. And I really love the cast.

Glinda's picture

They work well together.  I hope you can find that in On Demand if you want to watch it.

I also love NCIS, both of them.  I think the actors are great, they go well together, and the storyline is almost always interesting.

I also like Hawaii Five O.  Only because I like the cast, and partly because I find Alex O'Loughlin laughable when he runs around with his gun velcroed to his body.  

And Scott Caan, although I dislike his father James Caan immensely, I think Scott is intersting and funny to watch.

Six Feet Under was awesome!...

poligirl's picture

and i like a lot of the shows you mentioned... :D

some of teh USA shows are gonna start up again this month for the winter season... :D

Your rating: None Average: 3 (1 vote)

we wait 6 months, then rent the series

Shahryar's picture

no broadcast tv, no cable, no satellite, no nothing except a tv set that we use as a monitor for DVDs.

We recently (like in the last week), rented Doctor Who, 7th series, part 1. Yes, I know it's really something like 38th series. They've renumbered starting with when the show came back on the air. Speaking of doctors, we rented this English thing called Doc Martin, about a London surgeon who, since he faints at the sight of blood, has moved to Cornwall. That was entertaining.

Before that we rented what we call "The Funny Detectives", which is really "Bored to Death" and Treme.

The major problem with renting a series is that we almost have to have a marathon in order to watch the whole thing before it's time to return it. That's why we haven't rented the 2nd season of Boardwalk Empire yet. Just thinking about getting that much violence in such a large dose has stopped us.

Hey, did I mention how much you all mean to us? Before I forget, before the moment passes, thank you all for being part of my far-flung community. I keep thinking life is eternal, and maybe it is, but sometimes, when others pass out of this reality, I realize I need to show my appreciation. I always feel it but sometimes I don't express it. Anyway, where was I?

I'm a big fan of the Oregon Ducks football squad. The student athletes have done well over the last few years but I did not see one down the entire season. I followed every game over the internet. It felt like I was getting a newswire version. "Marcus Mariota runs 12 yards". That sort of thing.

Pages